Detailed waste treatment and conditioning strategies are defined by the technical challenges and associated risks arising. Facility safety case modifications may be required for specific waste treatment and conditioning campaigns and the risk from these needs to be optimised for all transport and package proposals.
The waste management and disposal strategy are likely to dictate the decommissioning programme and dismantling methodology and should therefore be fully understood to inform all decommissioning plans.
OX2 Consulting have first hand experience working within the Radioactive Waste Management (RWM) subsidiary of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA). Accordingly, we have a full understanding of the link between the repository safety case(s) and the waste packaging acceptance criteria, which is essential when developing waste package designs and disposal strategies.
OX2 Consulting can advise on the following:
- Waste packaging and waste package designs and associated safety justifications (and Letter of Compliance submissions to RWM are part of this)
- Type B transport safety cases are generally assessed by a transport safety case
- Prolonged waste storage justification
- Support to container design approval
- Disposability assessment and waste package letter of compliance
- Waste treatment and conditioning
- Waste storage
- Environment Agency discharge authorisations
- Waste-led decommissioning
- Integrated waste management strategy
- Waste disposal optimisation